Updated by William Harper
How to setup an automated email prompt to Refer a Friend after a Positive Review with Klaviyo and Yotpo
Leverage integrations with Klaviyo, Yotpo and Friendbuy to provide opportunities for your customers to refer friends to your brand when they’ve provided a positive product review. Best practice is to sweeten the offer for this cohort of customers, as they are more likely to become brand Advocates!
- Enable the Yotpo and Klaviyo integration (must have accounts with both platforms)
- Enable Friendbuy and Klaviyo integration (must have accounts with both platforms)
Creating your Segment
You'll first want to create a Segment of subscribers in Klaviyo who meet the required criteria for a referral email. In this case, the required criteria will be those who have provided a positive review through Yotpo.
In your Klaviyo account, navigate to Lists & Segments on the left side menu
Click Create List / Segment
Choose Segment between the two options
Name your Segment: Example: Positive Review Referral Flow (Yotpo)
Under Definition, select Properties about Someone
Under Dimension, select yotpo_latest_review score
Choose equals and then type in 4 in the text field and the Type: Number. Then, click OR and follow the same steps, but then type in 5 as the next review score.
Click Create Segment
Now that you've created your Segment, it's time to setup your automated email flow!
Setup Your Flow
In your Klaviyo account navigate to Flows on the left side menu
Click Create Flow
Click Create from Scratch or choose from an existing flow
Name your flow - Example: Post Positive Product Review Referral Flow
Select the Segment flow trigger on the left side menu
Under the Choose Segment dropdown, select the Segment you created for this flow. The following example shows the segment, Post Positive Review Referral Flow (Yotpo).
Add a Conditional Split
This component will allow you do the following:
- Setup an email flow that only dynamically includes the friendbuy referral link in an email only if a referral link is available
- If no referral link is available, you can send a separate email and include a link to your refer-a-friend landing page, so you can still remind customers to refer-a-friend
In the left hand menu choose:
- Properties about someone from the dropdown
- Type in friendbuy_purl in the Klaviyo Properties dropdown
- Choose the conditional is set from the dropdown to the right
Add 2 Emails to your Flow
Add two separate emails to your flow. Under Actions click Email and drag it over to add it to your automated flow.
- An email that will be sent if yes, a referral link is available for the customer and will be dynamically inserted
- Example: ref.yourstorename.com/v/samantha25
- An email that will be sent if no, a referral link is not available for the customer and you want to include a link to your refer-a-friend landing page.
- Example: yourstorename.com/refer
Design Email #1 - Referral Link is Dynamically Inserted
Design the first email in your flow (the one with the referral link included). Click the three dots in the corner of the first email in the flow and then click Edit
Choose how you would like to design your email.
Choose a template from the Klaviyo template library
In the email editor, edit the copy and update the creative to whatever you’d like the email to say. Then, navigate to the section where you want to insert the personal referral link.
Click insert properties and type in friendbuy_purl, which will automatically populate.
Design Email #2 - Include a Link to your Refer-a-friend Landing Page
Design the second email in your flow (the one that will be sent if a referral link is not available for a customer) Navigate back to your email flow and click Edit on the Email #2 component
Follow the previous instructions for creating a new email.. Then, in the new email design include a link to your dedicated refer-a-friend landing page.
Push your Flow Messages Live
Click to learn how to turn an individual flow message live
Click to learn how to turn every flow message live